The results of a new Lawyers Weekly Employer of Choice Survey reveal which law firms Australian legal experts would approach for work were they to leave their current job.
Over 587 legal experts were surveyed over April and May of this year including partners, senior associates, lawyers and junior lawyers and the results are enlightening…
1. Henry Davis York, an Australian law firm drew the most interest from partners. Partners comprised 17% of their supporters.
2. Moray & Agnew and Sparke Helmore were close behind. Moray and Agnew attracted 15.4% partner level support, while Sparke Helmore drew 14.9%.
3. The most popular global firm at partner level was King & Wood Mallesons, 12.7% nominated this firm at partner level.
1. Sparke Helmore was the most desired workplace amongst senior associates, with senior associates comprising 29.8% of Sparke Helmore nominators.
2. Other strong performers were Maddocks and Gilbert + Tobin. Senior associate nominations for these firms came in at 25% and 22.7% respectively.
3. Looking at global firms, senior associates for Norton Rose Fulbright consisted of 22.1% supporters.
4. Nationals were the firms of choice amongst the senior associate demographic.
Unlike senior associates, lawyers and junior legal professionals are setting their sights on global firms.
1. Jones Day was the firm of choice by a mile among this demographic, receiving 51.2% of support at lawyer and junior lawyer level.
2. Allen & Overy came next, with 45.2% support at this level.
3. Baker & McKenzie was third, receiving 44.6% support.
1. Landers & Rogers was most favoured by newer lawyers, with these lawyers making up 44.2% of its supporters.
Of the 587 legal eagles who answered the survey question: ''Which firms would you most likely approach if you ever decided to leave your current firm?" These are the top 25 most favoured firms (respondents were able to nominate multiple firms):
1. Herbert Smith Freehills: 23%
2. King & Wood Mallesons: 18.7%
3. Minter Ellison: 17.7%
4. Ashurst: 14.7%
5. Allen & Overy: 14%
6. Allens Linklaters: 13.8%
7. Clayton Utz: 13.3%
8. Norton Rose Fulbright: 13.1%
9. Baker & McKenzie: 12.6%
10. Clifford Chance: 11.6%
11. Corrs Chambers Westgarth: 11.6%
12. Gilbert + Tobin: 11.2%
13. DLA Piper: 10.9%
14. Lander & Rogers: 10.4%
15 K&L Gates: 9.5%
16. Slater & Gordon: 9.5%
17. Henry Davis York: 9%
18. HWL Ebsworth: 8.9%
19. Sparke Helmore: 8%
20. Maddocks: 7.5%
21. Gadens: 7%
22. Jones Day: 7%
23. McCullough Robertson: 6.8%
24. Mills Oakley: 6.8%
25. Moray & Agnew: 6.6%